Stonewall DFL holds several screening sessions each year, prioritizing races identified as strategically important to the caucus and overall DFL Party goals. Stonewall DFL members are encouraged to participate in our candidate screening sessions and be part of making our endorsement decisions. We make every effort to screen all DFL candidates in the same race on the same day with the same committee members. Candidate screenings are typically open to the public.
Please watch our email newsletter, website, Facebook group, or Facebook page for meeting dates.
On behalf of the Stonewall DFL caucus, we appreciate candidates' and members’ time and participation in our candidate endorsement process.
If you are a 2021 DFL or nonpartisan candidate seeking endorsement, please follow the steps outlined below:
- Complete the appropriate questionnaire form for the office you are seeking. This is the primary component for considering an endorsement.
- The Political Support Committee will review questionnaires and will contact candidates with an expected timeline for screening and endorsement if not yet announced or invited.
- Meet with the Political Support Committee for an in-person interview if invited. This will be 25-30 minutes per interview, also known as a screening. The committee will prioritize screening in races specifically identified as strategically important. Interviews may be waived in certain cases.
- The Political Support Committee will deliberate and vote on a recommendation to the full Stonewall DFL Board of Directors. The Committee also collects additional member input to submit as part of its report to the Board.
- The Stonewall DFL Board of Directors will vote on ratifying the recommendations of the Political Support committee. This vote will occur at the next regularly scheduled board meeting, but may be made sooner in certain cases.
- All endorsements require a 60% majority to be approved by the Board of Directors. Candidate ratings in lieu of an endorsement require a majority approval by the Board.
If at any point in the process you have questions, please contact Stonewall DFL Political Director Samuel Doten at email@example.com.
All completed questionnaires will be kept on record for the Stonewall DFL Membership and Board of Directors.
We are currently developing our endorsement timeline for 2021. We will communicate directly with campaigns on expected timeline for considering endorsement in their race.
IMPORTANT: If there is an official DFL endorsement in a race, Stonewall DFL may only consider endorsing the DFL-endorsed candidate(s). Stonewall DFL is a community caucus of the Minnesota DFL Party and our Constitution and Bylaws are subject to the DFL Constitution & Bylaws and the most current DFL Call. It is through these rules that we are granted the authority to make endorsements using the “DFL” name. Please do not apply for our endorsement if you are not eligible.
- Municipal: city councils, mayors, Minneapolis Board of Estimate & Taxation - not yet open
- Minneapolis Parks & Recreation Board - not yet open
- School boards - not yet open