2019 Endorsement Process
Stonewall DFL members are encouraged to participate in our candidate screening sessions. We generally hold several screening sessions each year prioritizing contested races for DFL endorsement. Please watch our website, Facebook group, or Facebook page for meeting dates. We make every effort to screen all DFL candidates in the same race on the same day with the same committee members. Candidate screenings are typically open to the public.
On behalf of the Stonewall DFL caucus, we appreciate candidates' and members’ time and participation in our candidate endorsement process.
If you are a 2019 DFL or nonpartisan candidate seeking endorsement, please follow the steps outlined below:
- Complete the appropriate questionnaire form for the office you are seeking. This is the primary component for considering an endorsement.
- The Political Support committee will review questionnaires and will contact candidates with an expected timeline for screening and endorsement if not yet announced or invited.
- Meet with the Political Support Committee for an in-person interview if invited. This will be 20-25 minutes per interview. The committee will prioritize screening in contested races and may waive an interview for DFL-endorsed candidates.
- The Political Support committee will deliberate and vote on a recommendation to the full Stonewall DFL Board of Directors.
- The Stonewall DFL Board of Directors will vote on endorsement to ratify the recommendations of the Political Support committee. This vote will occur at the next regularly scheduled board meeting, but may be made sooner in certain cases.
- All endorsements require a majority recommendation from the committee and 60% to be approved by the Board of Directors. Candidate ratings in lieu of an endorsement require a majority recommendation and majority approval by the Board.
If at any point in the process you have questions, please contact the Stonewall DFL Political Director, Maddie Pavek at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All completed questionnaires will be kept on record for the Stonewall DFL Membership and Board of Directors.
Early endorsement consideration will be made for Saint Paul City Council races where the DFL endorsement is uncontested: Wards 2, 3, and 4.
For contested St. Paul City Council races, we will begin interviewing candidates in March. Please submit your questionnaire by Sunday, March 3.
We have held these two dates for screening in Wards 1, 5, 6, and 7: Saturday, March 16 and Sunday, March 24. We will make every attempt to schedule all candidates in a ward on the same date. If you cannot interview on one of these dates please notify us immediately: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Any Stonewall DFL endorsements for contested St. Paul City Council races will be approved at the April 7 Stonewall DFL board meeting.
School board races will be considered beginning in April and May. Check back for details on deadlines and screening dates.