Stonewall DFL considers endorsement of many candidates each year, prioritizing races identified as strategically important to the caucus and overall DFL Party goals. Stonewall DFL members are encouraged to participate in our candidate screening sessions and be part of making our endorsement decisions. We make every effort to screen all DFL candidates in the same race on the same day with the same committee members. Candidate screenings are typically open to the public.
Please watch our email newsletter, website, Facebook group, or Facebook page for meeting dates. Sign up to receive notices for screenings by opting into the Political Support Committee using this form: https://airtable.com/shrWuJks8GovvW3Za
On behalf of the Stonewall DFL caucus, we appreciate candidates' and members’ time and participation in our candidate endorsement process.
If you are a 2021 DFL or nonpartisan candidate seeking endorsement, please follow the steps outlined below:
- Complete the appropriate questionnaire form for the office you are seeking. This is the primary component for considering an endorsement.
- The Political Support Committee will review questionnaires and will contact candidates with an expected timeline for screening and endorsement if not yet announced or invited.
- Meet with the Political Support Committee for an interview (via Zoom) if invited. This will be 25-30 minutes per interview, also known as a screening. The committee will prioritize screening in races specifically identified as strategically important. Interviews may be waived in certain cases.
- The Political Support Committee will deliberate and vote on a recommendation to the full Stonewall DFL Board of Directors. The Committee also collects additional member input to submit as part of its report to the Board.
- The Stonewall DFL Board of Directors will vote on ratifying the recommendations of the Political Support committee. This vote will occur at the next regularly scheduled board meeting, but may be made sooner in certain cases.
- All endorsements require a 60% majority to be approved by the Board of Directors. Candidate ratings in lieu of an endorsement require a majority approval by the Board.
If at any point in the process you have questions, please contact Stonewall DFL Political Director Samuel Doten at email@example.com.
All completed questionnaires will be kept on record for the Stonewall DFL Membership and Board of Directors.
IMPORTANT: If there is an official DFL endorsement in a race, Stonewall DFL may only consider endorsing the DFL-endorsed candidate(s). Stonewall DFL is a community caucus of the Minnesota DFL Party and our Constitution and Bylaws are subject to the DFL Constitution & Bylaws and the most current DFL Call. It is through these rules that we are granted the authority to make endorsements using the “DFL” name. Please do not apply for our endorsement if you are not eligible.
- Municipal: city councils, mayors, Minneapolis Board of Estimate & Taxation - available here
- Minneapolis Parks & Recreation Board - available here
- School boards - available here
Please refer to this timeline. We will update it as information becomes available, and we will attempt to pro-actively reach out to any DFL candidate who has made their candidacy publicly known to invite them to complete a questionnaire and screen with us. Dates are subject to change due to holidays, conflicts with pre-scheduled public forums, and events surrounding the trial of Derek Chauvin. We will communicate directly with campaigns and members as dates change.
|Screening Date||Questionnaires in by||Board action||Candidates known to be seeking DFL endorsement||Agenda Item|
|3/18/2021||3/15/2021||3/21/2021||5 to 6||Mpls W9, W8|
|3/20/2021||3/17/2021||3/21/2021||6||Mpls W4, W7|
|3/25/2021||3/22/2021||3/26/2021||3 to 4||Mpls BET|
|4/10/2021||4/7/2021||4/18/2021||5||Mpls W3, W1|
|4/17/2021||4/14/2021||4/18/2021||6||Mpls W5, W11|
|4/18/2021||4/15/2021||4/18/2021||2||Mpls PB D6|
|4/18/2021||4/15/2021||4/18/2021||1+||St. Paul Mayor|
|4/25/2021*||4/22/2021||4/27/2021||6+||St. Paul School Board (3 AL, 1 AL-Spec)|
|TBA May||5/16/2021||0||Mpls PB AL|
|TBA May||5/16/2021||5||Mpls W2, W6, W12, W13|
|TBA May||?||Duluth CC (2AL, D2, D4)|
|TBA||2||Mpls PB D1-5|
PB = Park Board
BET = Board of Estimate and Taxation
AL = At-Large
W = City Council Ward
D = District
*this date may shift